First impressions count and your driveway is one of the first thing visitors see when they approach your home. With so many different options of driveway available, choosing the best materials and design can be a difficult decision. So what are the most popular types of driveways in the UK?
There are many different ways in which you can renovate or add to the exterior of your home and you’d be surprised how much choice you have when designing your driveway, you can, if you want completely change the look of the front of your property.
In this article we are looking at the many different materials you can use and hopefully it will help you decide which might be the best solution for your driveway.
A resin bound or resin bonded driveway offers a range of colour choices and are becoming increasingly popular option. This driveway material is a combination of construction aggregate such as gravel or stone that is mixed with Polyurethane resin.
Advantages of resin:
- Kerb appeal: it looks fantastic and immediately enhance the look of your home
- Many colour options: Easy to compliment the look of your home by choosing the perfect colour
- Drainage: Resin bound driveways are water permeable that fits the Sustainable Urban Drainage System Standards. This means that you may not need to apply for planning permission, which will make your new driveway more affordable
- Maintenance: Weeds should not be an issue as long as the driveway is kept clean and all you’ll need to do is the occasional jet wash or hose clean along with keeping it swept to keep it looking pristine for years to come
- Hassle free installation: Depending on the size of the area, a resin driveway can usually be installed within a couple of days
Disadvantages of resin driveways
- Choose a reputable installer: There are no regulations for resin contractors and they can easily crack if not prepared correctly. The top surface can move or lift up and it can be hard to repair if a problem were to develop.
- Not suitable for every driveway: A level surface is ideal due to the way resin is applied. A sloping driveway may not be suitable for resin.
Considering a resin driveway? CLICK HERE to get in touch and we’ll get in touch with a no-obligation quote.
Tarmac is one of the more affordable materials that you can choose for your driveway. They are pretty easy to recognise and is made up of hot tar on a gravel base with stone chips added to the tar and solidified in place. They are ideal for a small front garden driveway on a budget. They look very smooth and clean, matching the road and blending in with it’s surroundings but colour choices are limited. Tarmac is low maintenance and only need loose stones to be replaced occasionally.
Are you looking for a tarmac driveway – CLICK HERE to get in touch or why not call on 01564 490121
Block paving driveways are probably the most attractive choices and a myriad of patterns, designs and colour blends can be created. With block paving when it comes to driveway design, the world really is your oyster.
Here at Ideal building and landscapes we pride ourselves on being an approved installer of Tobermore block paving products. Tobermore are the leading name for quality in block paving and started life in 1942. Find out more and see the colour range Tobermore offer here
Advantages of block paving products as driveway materials
- Hard wearing: When installed correctly block paving is a hard wearing surface and even if an individual block became damaged, then it is easy to repair and unlike other materials does not require the whole drive to be re-laid, a great choice of driveway type
- Eye candy: As previously mentioned as there are so many colours and pattern choices, block paving can really enhance your property
Disadvantages of block paving
- Sub base: Needs to be level and in good condition and made level for block paving to be installed without long term issues. It is important to use a reputable installer with much experience in laying block paving. Certain patterns require planning and precise laying which can increase installation costs
Interested in block paving as a solution to your drive way. We offer a free design and quote service. CLICK HERE to get in touch or call 01564 490121
Gravel driveways are an extremely popular option for homeowners across Solihull, Wythall, Redditch and beyond. Ideal buildings and landscapes regularly install gravel driveways as it can give any home fabulous kerb appeal.
Advantages of Gravel as type of material for a driveway
- Colour and Style options: Most traditional driveways will have either golden or grey gravel but there are many other choices available and with options such as adding paving borders, you can be sure to add the character you are looking for
- Security: If you have ever heard a car pull up on a gravel driveway then you’ve heard that distinctive crunch. Often you will be able to hear footsteps as they approach which is ideal for hearing a potential thief approaching under cover of darkness
Disadvantages of Gravel as a type of material for a driveway
- Maintenance: Weeds can still penetrate gravel and without regular maintenance, if left, can get out of hand.
- Ruts and thinning: You will need to occasionally replace the top layer of gravel to keep it topped up
If you don’t mind spending a little time on your gravel driveway here and there then the rewards and beauty of your driveway is definitely worth it.
If you have been inspired to transform your driveway into something beautiful then please give us a call on 01564 490121 to arrange your free design and quote without obligation or get in touch HERE